Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Vegan Chocolate Almond To-Go Granola Bars

In case you havent' heard or seen on fitness instagram pages, clean eating is one of the best things to do for your body. Processed foods have multiple chemicals to make their shelf life longer and tons of sugar to make them taste "better." Clean eating, however, can be extremely difficult when you don't have much time or have a busy schedule. So what I try to do is minimize my processed food intake to just the occasional granola bar for during or in between class. But this week I tried a new granola bar recipe to take on the go with me to class! 
So I found this Vegan Chocolate Almond Protein Bar recipe PopSugar Fitness. Found here: http://www.fitsugar.com/Vegan-Protein-Bars-33473756
So in this bar recipe, it calls for protein powder, but since I don't use or want to take protein powder, I just left it out and it still tasted great! 
Also in the comments below, people complained about the bar being too dry to stick and stay together after freezing and like one person suggested I added some coconut oil to help it stick together and that fixed the problem. 
I didn't measure any of the ingredients in this and just kind of added to how the mixture was looking, too dry I added more almond butter and coconut oil, too liquid add more oats. (I didn't have enough raw almond on hand (typical), so for the bar itself I just used almond butter from the store and used raw almonds as a topping.)
Food process the oats

Add remaining ingredients INCLUDING coconut oil as a liquid to help the bars mold and stick together and not crumb 

Spread and pat into a baking sheet 

Pat chopped almond and the chocolate drizzle
For my chocolate drizzle, instead of using chocolate chips melted, I made my own chocolate drizzle on the stove with coco powder, sugar, and a little bit of water.

Put in freeze for about 20 minutes and cut into bars


Yay! Vegan homemade granola bars! NO chemicals or preservatives!

No comments:

Post a Comment