Monday, June 2, 2014

Sweet Potato Quinoa Patties

I love anything with sweet potatoes. Thanksgiving dinner with sweet potatoes is like heaven to me. I also have an obsession with white potatoes (I blame the Irish side of me.), but as I have learned substituting sweet potatoes for white potatoes makes a healthier dish! These are absolutely delicious patties with some quinoa, yellow onion, thyme, sweet potatoes, and garlic. 
The recipe comes from A House in the Hills and can be found here: http://ahouseinthehills.com/2014/1/13/sweet-potato-quinoa-patties/ 
INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups baked sweet potato, skins removed & mashed (approximately 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa- medium yellow onion, diced (I use less onion usually. I made a half recipe and used 1/4 an onion.)
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme (more to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- earth balance vegan butter or coconut oil for cooking (I used olive oil, but mine also fell apart (may be from not enough sweet potatoes to quinoa ratio) so I'll probably try coconut oil next time.)
Saute the onions in olive oil

Add the garlic 

At the very vey end add the thyme

After roasting the sweet potato, smash it up in a bowl and add all the ingredients 

Roll into balls and flatten

Cook in oil (I had trouble keeping them in shape and many of them fell apart, which I believe was because I didn't have enough sweet potato for my quinoa. Oh well better luck next time!) 

As you can see I tried to fix the "not sticking together" problem by cooking some for longer, hence the browner patties

Still delicious, however!




No comments:

Post a Comment