Saturday, June 14, 2014

Falafel with Tahini Sauce


I've been looking for a good falafel recipe and I've finally found one thanks to Just A Taste, recipe found here: http://www.justataste.com/2011/08/homemade-falafel-with-tahini-sauce/
For this recipe I would suggest making it ahead of time because I did not do that and I ended up saving the mix in the fridge overnight because we were too hungry to wait the hour of chilling time. (oops!) 
I also only made a half recipe and it was plenty! I had enough for lunch with some patties left over for my roommate and dinner, again with falafels left over! 
For the Falafels:
  • 2 cups roughly chopped white onion
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 1 cup lightly packed parsley leaves
  • 1 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • Canola oil, for sauteing


For the tahini sauce:
  • 1¼ cups plain yogurt 
  • ¼ cup tahini 
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Instructions: 
1. Mix the garlic and onion in a food processor until finely minced. Set this mixture aside. 
2. Mix the chickpeas, parsley, and cilantro along with the spices in the food processor  until blended (Do not puree!)
3. Add the garlic and onion mixture back to the food process and add the flour and baking powder until the mixture starts to form a ball and is not sticky. 
4. Allow the falafel mix to chill, while you prepare the tahini sauce by combining together the yogurt, tahini, and lemon juice. 
5. Roll falafel mixture into balls (I used tablespoon to have some unity in their sizes.)
6. Sautee the falafels in canola oil, or the like, until brown on both sides. (About 3 minutes)
Mix the cilantro, parsley, and chickpeas in the food processor

Mix the onion and garlic mixture with flour until it becomes doughy. (I had to play with the measurements a little for this part, but I don't know if I did it right. The end product came out great so it worked out in the end!)

Roll the mixture into balls (I used a tablespoon measurement.) and saute in a pan with oil.



I ate mine on a wrap with the tahini sauce 


No comments:

Post a Comment