Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Vegan Black Sesame & Quinoa Granola

Now I am a granola enthusiastic. 
It's flat out delicious. 
When I'm not feeling like eating my usually oatmeal, I grab some homemade granola and make a bowl of cereal with it and some almond milk. You can also eat granola on the go as a trail mix. I don't buy store made granola, it's over priced and full of added ingredients that I can't even pronounce. And as a homemade granola, I can change it to my preference. 


Ingredients
3 1/4 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup whole almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 cup whole cashews, roughly chopped (I changed it to walnuts instead)
1/2 cup black sesame seeds (may use white if needed)
1/4 cup flax seeds
3/4 cup honey (Sub. agave or maple syrup for vegan)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional) (I omitted as I have been told I need to "lay off the coffee." I'm an accounting major struggling through school, what do you expect?)
good pinch of salt

Instructions:
1. Number one rule of baking is to turn the oven on. It is a smart and practical thing to do. So set it to 350 degrees F. 
2. In a large bowl, add the almonds, COOKED quinoa, cashews (or other nut), black sesame seeds, and flax seeds. 
3. Stir in the honey (or vegan sub.), coconut oil, vanilla extract, instant coffee (if you want), and salt.
4.Spread onto baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, stir every 15 minutes until golden brown. 
5. Let cool before storing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment