Monday, August 18, 2014

Vegan Spinach Quinoa Muffins



While I'm usually very good about getting my daily amount of fruit, I'm not the best with always remembering to eat my veggies. Seriously on a diet analysis I had to do for school, I had over 130% of my daily requirement for fruit and I didn't even reach full requirements in the veggie department. 

C'mon Care, GET IT TOGETHER. 

But I have found a recipe so I can start my day with veggies and even get some veggies in for dessert or a snack. Check out these spinach quinoa muffins. Found these little guys on Life Currents, found here: http://lifecurrents.dw2.net/spinach-quinoa-muffins/


Ingredients
  1. 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  2. 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  3. ¼ teaspoon table salt
  4. ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  5. 1 teaspoon baking powder
  6. Around 3-5 cups fresh spinach, enough to yield 1 cup puree
  7. 3 tablespoons water
  8. 1 medium overripe banana
  9. 1 egg (to make this vegan I made an egg substitute with 1 tablespoon chia seeds to 3 tablespoons of water)
  10. ½ cup granulated sugar
  11. 2 tablespoons olive oil
  12. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  13. Zest of 1 lemon or ½ teaspoon lemon extract
  14. 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
  15. ½ cup cooked quinoa

  1. Instructions
  2. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahreinheit would be a good place to start. 
  3. 2. In a bowl combine the dry ingredients of whole wheat flour, white flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
  4. 3. In a blender start pureeing the spinach with the water until you get 1 cup.
  5. 4. Add the banana, sugar, egg (substitute), olive oil, flaxseed, lemon zest or extract, and vanilla extract and blend. 
  6. 5. Add the wet mixture to the dry.
  7. 6. Fold in quinoa to mixture 
  8. 7. Divide mixture in muffin tin and bake for 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. 









No comments:

Post a Comment