Saturday, May 16, 2015

Spinach Falafels

Tried something new for some dinner and lunch options! I love falafels, but I usually don't have the time to make them as I'm currently in school, however, this past week was my summer break and I think with some planning ahead I can make myself falafels and have them last me a few meals to make the time and effort worth it! 

I really liked this recipe because it had spinach added, so it's an extra little way to sneak veggies into your meals! 

Original recipe is from Busy in Brooklyn, found here: http://www.busyinbrooklyn.com/spinach-falafel-burger/.

I added cucumber, mushroom crisped like bacon, and pineapple to my falafel sandwich on ezekiel bread.


Ingredients: 

  • 1 lb dried chickpeas 
  • 1 1/2 cups baby spinach (lightly packed)
  • 1/2 cup parsley
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 lg onion, chopped
  • 2 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 2 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 2-3 tsp kosher salt, or, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • light olive oil or canola oil, for frying
I changed the recipe to accommodate for just one can of garbanzo beans (15 oz) for myself.

Instructions:  

1. Rinse and drain chickpeas. In batches, add chickpeas, parsley, spinach, garlic, and onion to a food processor and process until smooth. 
2. Transfer bean mixture to bowl and add spices, baking soda, and lemon juice. 
3. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. (I wasn't patience enough for this and mine starting falling apart while cooking, lesson learned.)
4. In a frying pan, heat oil. Roll mixture into patties and fry patties until crisp and browned on both sides. 
5. Serve alone, on bread, in a wrap, or however you like it!

Busy in Brooklyn had great tips for what to do it if the mixture isn't quite right, so when in doubt check it out!









No comments:

Post a Comment